The Pastor's Plight
The pastor of a church is in a precarious position; he can't
please everyone! It has been said:
LET YOUR PASTORS KNOW HOW MUCH YOU LOVE AND APPRECIATE THEM.
- If he is young, he lacks experience; if his hair is grey, he's
too old for the young people.
- If he has several children, he has too many; if he has no
children, he's setting a bad example.
- If he preaches from his notes, he has canned sermons and
is too dry; if he doesn't use notes, he has not studied and
is not deep.
- If he is attentive to the poor people in the church, they claim
he is playing to the grandstand; if he pays attention to the
wealthy, he is trying to be an aristocrat.
- If he suggests changes for improvement of the church, he
is a dictator; if he makes no suggestions, he is a figurehead.
- If he uses too many illustrations, he neglects the Bible; if
he doesn't use enough illustrations, he isn't clear.
- If he condemns wrong, he is cranky; if he doesn't preach
against sin, he's a compromiser.
- If he fails to please somebody, he's hurting the church and
ought to leave; if he tries to please everyone, he is a fool.
- If he preaches about money, he's a money grabber; if he
doesn't preach spiritual giving, he is failing to develop the
- If he drives an old car, he shames his congregation; if he
drives a new car, he is setting his affection on earthly things.
- If he preaches all the time, the people get tired of hearing
one man; if he invites guest speakers, he is shirking his
- If he receives a large salary, he's mercenary; if he receives
only a small salary, well it proves he isn't worth much anyway.
[ Author Unknown -- from Anonymous ]
All Rights Reserved.